The Weekend Find: Authentic Sixpence Coins!

    You've heard the saying: Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue..and a Sixpence in her shoe? Well Saturday my boyfriend and I were cruising along Royal St. in NOLA when we popped in James H. Cohen & Sons, Inc. While he looked at antique weapons, I spotted their collection of authentic sixpence coins! Brides place the sixpence in their left shoe for the long walk down the aisle to symbolize good luck, wealth and financial security! According to tradition, during the early 1600's the Lord of the Manor presented a sixpence to the bride as a wedding gift. Toward the end of the seventeenth century, it became the custom for the bride's parents to give the sixpence as a dowry gift to the groom. Now, they are no longer minted in England and are rare to find. I love that you can make an experience out of this and go down to the French Quarter for an afternoon of lunch and sixpence shopping with friends! Find Cohen's website HERE. You can get a pack of 5 authentic ones for $35 at Cohen's! You can also order them online, but how not fun is that! They also say to leave the coin in the shoe, but if you opt out of that tradition, I also posted some cute things to do with the coin after your wedding. Happy Monday! xoxo, Julie



    Gifting Ideas



    After the Wedding Ideas


    If you see a picture and know who the credit belongs to, please send me the info and I will add immediately. I am also happy to take down any pics by request of the owner. Thanks!



Blog Archive

Total Pageviews